Get Those Poopies Off!
The idea is to have your teeth outlive you. Period!
Like many other diseases, you can take the necessary steps to prevent cavities, decay, and plaque in your teeth. Good preventive care involves effective removal of the bacteria doing the damage. This can prolong the life of your teeth for years. Here is what to do!
1. Reduce the amount of sugar in your diet. 95% of all cavities are caused by lifestyle habits such as drinking sugary sodas and juices and eating sugary foods. Streptococcus mutans love that sugar that feeds them. When the sugar is removed, cleaned off and/or not even present, then the bacterial poopie is vastly lessened.
2. Gently message your gums (a new way to “brush your teeth” ) with a soft toothbrush and warm water for two minutes twice a day and floss once a day to remove that plaque.
3. Use a fluoride toothpaste such as Prevident to both harden your enamel and create a hostile environment for the S.mutans.
4. Come in for a dental cleaning minimally every six months to detect tooth decay at an early stage. Also to get a professional application of fluoride. Flouride is no longer just for kids.
5. And for some – wear a night guard if you clench or grind your teeth. Deep concentration or stress can cause you to clench or grind your teeth. The most common time for this to happen is while you are sleeping. Not only can this lead to headaches, jaw aches, ear aches, and neck stiffness, it can also cause tiny stress fractures in your teeth. These fractures allow sugar and decay to burrow deeper into your teeth and intensify damage to your teeth while sometimes putting you in severe pain.
Healthy teeth are always the foundation of a beautiful smile!